7/30/2018

Paint a Tea Kettle for Succulents

I live alone...well, with my dog, BC.  I'm only in my 60's but still find myself forgetting things from time to time. I don't think it's early Alz; but as I age and add new tidbits to my brain, I get rid of some old (particularly political).

One thing which many people can probably relate to is forgetting the kettle's on the stove. Turn it on and let it boil away because the whistle's long gone. I returned to my RV after 1-1/2 hours to find BC panting and my place hot and steamy.



We were luckyI immediately purchased an electric kettle and have never looked back.  But what to do with my Burnt Kettle, a gift from a dear friend?  PAINT IT!
After taking a steel wool scrubbie to scuff it up, I covered the handle and pour spout with aluminum foil.  I then sprayed it with Primer What they say is true:  PREP WORK MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE.  I've used Krylon for decades, and prefer their grey color for adhesion.  I've tried other colors and products but for some reason they just don't seem to hold up to the ugly but dependable GREY, in my opinion. I didn't bother with the underside, but you can certainly prime that as well if you wish.
After priming (a must), you can use whatever brand of acrylic paint you choose. I discovered the economical and dependable Jo Sonja Acrylics in 1993 (available online) and use them for my projects.  However, I've also used craft paints available in major retailers and craft stores. It's just a matter of preference.

When finished painting, use clear spray Varnish to protect. Give it 2 or 3 coats.  Glue some small stones or waterproof beads to the bottom of the kettle, if desired, to raise the base and keep it from sitting in standing water outside.
I'm fortunate to have a Master Gardener for a friend, who took my kettle home to fill.  First her husband drilled some holes in the bottom and then Lea filled it up with succulents.  Water it through the spout, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment